Pain Management Program
The Empower Pain Management Program is Northern Pain Centre’s intensive 3 week pain management program. Empower aims to teach participants the principles of active self-management to assist them with both managing their pain and optimising their quality of life.
Our program is based on the latest clinical research and evidence-based techniques in chronic pain management. In addition, our facilitators are a highly experienced pain management team including our Medical Director Dr Martine Holford, our clinical psychologist, physiotherapists and practice nurses.
The Empower Pain Management Program includes:
- education about chronic pain neurophysiology, neuroplasticity and the impact of these on pain perception
- psychological skills training to implement pacing, change unhelpful thought patterns, to improve goal-setting, flare-management and problem-solving abilities
- training in strategies to address low mood, stress and anxiety
- instruction in practical strategies to return to physical activity, daily tasks, work and previously enjoyed activities
- supervised group-based exercise sessions, hydrotherapy, Tai Chi and Yoga sessions
Overall, the skills and strategies imparted during the Empower course will help participants to restore a sense of confidence in their ability to, with support, manage their pain more effectively and get back into life. In addition, Empower Pain Management Program has a special emphasis on assisting injured workers to develop and implement a sustainable return to work plan.
Answers to FAQs
- This program is currently available to participants funded by Workers Compensation, Third Party Insurers, DVA
- Self-funded participants are eligible to attend. Please ask our Program Co-ordinator for more details.
- We accept direct referrals into the Empower Pain Management Program from external medical practitioners, such as your local doctor or another specialist. Please ask our Program Co-ordinator for more details
Please contact the clinic and speak with our program coordinator.
T: 02 9439 6456
F: 02 9460 9230
Empower Pain Management Program
This is Northern Pain Centre’s intensive 3 week pain management program based on the principles of active self-management and cognitive behavioural therapy. Our program is based on the latest clinical research in pain management. Our facilitators are a highly experienced pain management team including...
Terms and Conditions
Empower Pain Management Program Pty Ltd (“Empower PMP”) ACN 632 830 445 Terms and Conditions of Sale 1.1 Unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, in these Conditions: “Agent” means an employee, agent, consultant or contractor of Empower PMP. “Business...
Philosophy and Evidence Base
Purpose The NSW Health Minister assigned a taskforce in 2011 for the management of persistent pain with the aim of easing the burden and improving the quality of life of people suffering from persistent pain whilst helping them re-enter the workforce (Health.nsw.gov.au, 2012). This is the...
Learn More About Multi-Disciplinary Pain Management
Living well with chronic pain: the role of pain-management programmes. J. Gauntlett-Gilbert and P. Brook NSW Government (2012) Literature Review: Models of Care for Pain Management. Self-Management: A Comprehensive Approach to Management of...
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How do I enrol in the Empower Pain Management Program? A. You will need a referral from either your GP or specialist doctor. You will then be contacted by the Empower Pain Management Program Coordinator. Q. When is...
Active Self-Management: Living Well with Pain
What is pain? Acute pain is a normal protective warning signal. It often occurs directly after injury, lasts a short duration (hours to a couple of months), and dissipates within 3 months of onset. Where as chronic pain lasts longer than 3 months, beyond and despite...