Pain in Other Locations
Persistent pain effecting the abdominal and pelvic regions is a complex and often misunderstood phenomena. Pain perceived from organs in the thorax, including intestines, gallbladder, kidneys, reproductive organs and the peritoneal lining of the abdominopelvic cavity, can all contribute to a number of pain syndromes.
Pain tends to be widespread and hard to localise, and is often closely linked to autonomic functions such as sweating, nausea, bloating and fatigue. Associations with organ function, such as constipation, diarrhoea, pain on urination or defaecation can add to the unpleasantness and disability of these conditions. Frequently, no cause can be found on blood tests, ultrasounds or other scans, leaving the patient with a sense of uncertainty and of not being believed.
Close liaison between your Pain Specialist and your other specialists (your gastroenterologist or gynaecologist for example) and your GP is key to the best management of these complex conditions. Novel approaches to medications, physical therapies and psychological interventions has helped many patients see improvement in both pain and quality of life.
Resources and Support Networks
Here are some useful resources that contain in depth information about this condition:
- Education video: Fibromyalgia
- Education video: Polymyalgia Rheumatica and Giant Cell Arteritis
- Education video: Sjogrens Syndrome
- Education video: Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Pain Australia: Pelvic Pain Fact Sheet
- Musculoskeletal Australia: Fibromyalgia Fact Sheet
- Pelvic Pain Foundation of Australia Visit www.pelvicpain.org.au
- Pelvic Pain Support Groups Australia
- Endometriosis and pelvic pain. Written by Dr Susan Evans. Purchase the book here.
- Progressive muscular relaxation for the pelvic floor. Visit www.patricianeumann.com.au
- Musculoskeletal Australia: Lupus Fact Sheet
- Musculoskeletal Australia: Paget’s Disease Fact Sheet
- Musculoskeletal Australia: Raynaud’s Phenomenon Fact Sheet
- Musculoskeletal Australia: Polymyalgia Rheumatica Fact Sheet
- Musculoskeletal Australia: Sjögren’s Syndrome Fact Sheet
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) Australia
- Arthritis Australia: Sjögren’s Syndrome Fact Sheet
- RACGP: Fibromyalgia Article
- Fibromyalgia Australia
- Download our brochure about Understanding Chronic Pain here
- Pelvic Pain Webinar Series